Plymstock Quarry, a redundant limestone quarry and cement works near Plymouth, is being transformed into a site for over 1680 new homes, with some commercial development, a primary school and public open spaces.
As part of the enabling works for development 2.4 hectares of new woodland has been planted within the site extending the historic adjoining Plymstock Plantation.
The site is close to Saltram House and Park, a Grade 1 listed building and its Historic Park and Garden extends to the edge of the Plymstock Quarry site. Historic woodlands and pastures are retained around the quarry cliff edge and a new extension to the Pomphlett Plantation has been planted with ‘fingers’ of trees and shrubs extending down the hillside into the pastures below, following the original 18th century landscape design idea to look like ’icing on a cake’
Shrub whips, transplants and a range of native tree species were planted. Advance works preparation to remove brambles by was undertaken before planting in the winter of 2013/14. Planting pits were dug into existing topsoil in the pasture areas and surplus topsoil stripped from the remodelling of the quarry was used on the bare slopes where species rich turf was also transplanted. Good establishment and growth has been achieved this year.
For more information please contact us.