Nicholas Pearson Associates
Restored Lake
Restored LakePhotomontagePeople pointingInterpretation boardsCouple walking in woodlandCyclingGardenLake and Parkland

Projects /
Lydiard Park, Swindon

Client: Swindon Borough Council

Location: Swindon, Wiltshire

Lydiard Park with its Palladian House, beautiful church, formal parkland and surrounding pasture are the striking remains of a great country estate which reached its peak in the 18th Century. Rescued from ruin by the Swindon Corporation in 1943, the house was beautifully restored and opened to the public in the 1950s.

 
Nicholas Pearson Associates were retained initially for a pilot project for the renaissance of Country Parks by the Countryside Agency. We have since helped Swindon Borough Council secure major Heritage Lottery funding of £3m for the restoration and development of this 260 acre registered, historic, urban-fringe, Public Park. 


Working alongside partners including Halcrow and Wessex Archaeology, the detail design stage sustained high levels of community interest and involvement through project events. As well as historic research, we produced photomontages to demonstrate a vision of what could be achieved to approach restoration to the former glory of the Park.

In 2005, work began on a £5 million landscape restoration project, supported by the Heritage Lottery Fund. Under our guidance, many significant 18th Century landscape features have been restored including:
• re-instating the lost lake
• restoring ice house and castellated dam wall
• And returning the 18th Century ornamental fruit and flower walled garden to its former glory.